barefoot

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Why I like the planet

I've tried to be kind to the earth for awhile now. I've always like recycling and I joined an environmental group when I was in high school. I grew up reusing things and being practical with possessions for the most part. I've been somewhat of a pack rat though (nice word for hoarder) but every year it's getting easier to get rid of things.
I have a hard time understanding why others don't constantly think of the environment like I do. Of course, I'm not perfect and I still buy and throw away a lot of waste, but I'd like to think it's pretty minimal compared to others. I became a lot more conscious about all this after I had my son. Sure, the earth is massive and there's a vast amount of space that probably won't be used up in his lifetime. But what about future generations of my family? Should I never think about them and what they will have left in a hundred years?
I've got a long way to go before I become a crazy tree hugger - but my husband might tell you differently. It's a hobby of mine I guess. I have to keep coming up with creative ways to reuse things, or new recipes to use instead of buying processed foods, I have to spend more time searching for used things and resist the temptation to buy new things in the mean time. It gets hard, I admit.
But, because it's a challenge, it can be rewarding as well. Not only do I save money by buying used things, avoiding chemical cleaners and some processed foods, it's a lot healthier for me and my family. I do have the advantage of being a stay at home mom now and thus a little more time to spend on this endeavor and for that I do feel blessed. But, I have to say, it's become a lifestyle for me and I don't even think twice about some things anymore. It took a little while, but now I always remember my reusable bags when I go shopping and I always throw the food straps in the bin under the sink. Now if I could just cut down on my computer use!

No comments:

Post a Comment